Today, Amazon is opening its doors to novelists with its annual Breakthrough Novel Award Contest. For those unfamiliar with this contest, it offers a great deal - better than most big publishing houses - for those who win. Best of all, it's free! So, if you have a novel gathering cyber dust on your computer, why not take a chance?
From Publisher's Weekly
On February 16, Amazon Publishing will begin accepting submissions for its seventh annual Breakthrough Novel Award Contest, open to unpublished and self-published English-language novels. Authors can submit their general fiction, mystery/thriller, romance, science fiction/fantasy/horror, and young adult novels. The grand prize winner will receive an Amazon Publishing contract, with a $50,000 advance.
The 2014 ABNA contest is open to unpublished and self-published English-language novels submitted through March 2, or until 10,000 eligible entries are received, whichever is earlier. After two rounds of judging, Publishers Weekly reviewers will select the top five semi-finalists in each category. Amazon Publishing editors will lead a panel who will choose a finalist in each of the five categories, with Amazon customers selecting the grand prize winner. The four remaining finalists will receive an Amazon Publishing contract and a $15,000 advance.
From the Amazon Website
The Seventh Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest is right around the corner. You won’t want to miss this opportunity to win a publishing contract with Amazon Publishing.
One Grand Prize winner will receive a publishing contract with a $50,000 advance, and four First Prize winners will each receive a publishing contract with an advance of $15,000. Visit the Prizes page for the full list of prizes and details.
The categories include five popular genres: General Fiction, Romance, Mystery/Thriller, Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror and Young Adult Fiction. For complete eligibility details, view the Official Contest Rules, or read details on how to enter. Visit CreateSpace to learn more.
Preparing Your Entry
1) Prepare a strong Pitch. More than a summary, your Pitch should highlight your concept, protagonist, setting, and writing style—all the elements that make your story unique. View sample Pitches from past entrants.
2) Select the genre that best fits your book: General Fiction, Romance, Mystery/Thriller, Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror, or Young Adult.
3) Stay within the word count limits—Pitch, up to 300 words; Excerpt, 3,000 to 5,000 words; Manuscript, 50,000 to 125,000 words.
4) Remove all identifying information from your Pitch, Excerpt, and Manuscript, including: your name and/or pen name, author bio/resume, and any awards received for your book.
5) Submit all materials in English.
6) For complete entry requirements, view the Official Contest Rules.
7) Create an account with CreateSpace (if you haven’t already).
Read more HERE.